Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Tip #1: Is Frogging Always Necessary?

First off, what is frogging? Frogging is when you rip out and undo your stitches. Rip it! Rip it! Rip it! Get it?

I have undone a lot of rows on my previous works. It's tiring. It's annoying. It makes me want to leave the project unfinished. Then I got to thinking, what if I don't have to undo everything?

See this picture below? This is a blanket that I'm working on right now. On the first row, I made a mistake. There's a stitch missing on the first wave (right side). Can you see it? No? Me neither. I got cross-eyed just searching for that mistake so I can post it here.



To frog or not to frog? These are the questions I ask myself to help me decide before I undo my work:
  1. How many rows will I undo to correct the mistake?
  2. Is the mistake obvious?
  3. Can I fix it without undoing my work?
How many rows will I undo to correct the mistake?

Don't be lazy! If it's just a couple of stitches, go ahead and frog it! But if it's too much work, go ahead and ask yourself question number 2.

Is the mistake obvious?

There will be times that you won't really notice your mistake. You know that missed stitch on the first row of my blanket? I didn't even notice that I missed a stitch until after two rows.

Can I fix it without undoing my work?

If you can correct the succeeding rows and the mistake isn't that obvious, don't bother frogging it. However, if you can't correct the succeeding rows, you have two choices: frog it or leave it. If you can live with the fact that that mistake will carry on for the rest of your rows, then forget about frogging and just leave it. I always undo my work when I can't find a work around. The perfectionist in me just couldn't take it.

So there you have it. Unless your a perfectionist, it's not always necessary to frog your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment