Thursday, October 8, 2015

Chevron Bag



I consider this Chevron Bag as both a failed and a successful project. I'll write about that later, but first, the details on the pattern.

What you'll need:
  • Yarn (at least two colors) - I used three colors of mercerized cotton yarn (red, white, and black). In the video tutorial, a thicker cotton yarn was used.
  • Hook - Since I used a thinner thread, I picked a 4mm hook as my tool.
  • Scissors and needle - For switching colors and hiding tails.
Stitches used in this pattern:

  • chain (ch)
  • single crochet (sc)
  • double crochet (dc)
  • clusters of three dc's
  • joining 3 dc's into one
What you need to know about the pattern:

  • Make your base chain in multiples of 14 then add 2 more chains.
  • One cycle of the pattern consists of 3 dc on same stitch, dc, dc, dc, [join 3 dc over next 3 stitches] * 2, dc, dc, dc, 3 dc on same stitch.
  • Your rows should always start and end with a cluster. For row 2, make 2 dc's on third ch. Then at the start of each succeeding rows, ch 2 before making 2 dc's on third ch from the hook.

The video below is the tutorial I used to learn how to make the bag. I did not follow this tutorial to a tee. For one, I did not use the same type of yarn. I also made my base chain stitches longer since I was using a thinner yarn.



The back story

So as mentioned at the beginning of this post, I consider this project as both a failure and a successful one. The main objective of this project was to create a bag that I can use. I followed the steps (with some modifications) and voila, I made a bag! Mission accomplished. So why did I consider it as a failure?

When I started making this bag, I envisioned a big shoulder bag where I can put all of my bag essentials: my wallet, a pack of wet wipes, a comb, a hair tie, and my phone. But since I used a different thread and my base chain was relatively shorter, I created a smaller bag, that can only carry a coin purse, a small comb, and my phone.






No comments:

Post a Comment