Monday, October 12, 2015

Tutorial - Basic Tunisian Stitch

I've always been curious about the Tunisian crochet. I've seen it in almost all of the crochet books I bought, but never really tried learning it. My brush-off actually paid off, because as it turns out, you need a special hook to work on this stitch. Now that I have the hook needed to work on a Tunisian crochet, I guess I have no more excuse not to learn it.

So what is a Tunisian crochet? Tunisian crochet is a mixture of crochet and knitting, kind of like knitting without the actual knitting.

Basic Tunisian Stitch



Before I show you how to make a basic Tunisian stitch, one important thing you have to remember is: work on the stitches loosely.

Step 1:

Make any length of chain. For my sample, I made 15 chains.

Step 2:

Insert hook on the second chain, yarn over hook and pull through the loop. Keep the loop on the hook. [Insert hook on next chain, yarn over hook and pull through, keep the loop on the hook] *.  Repeat * until the end. You should have the same number of loops on your hook as the length of your chain. Do not turn.



Step 3:

Working from left to right, yarn over hook and pull through first loop on the hook.



[Yarn over hook and pull through 2 loops on hook] *. Repeat * until the end of the row. You'll only have the working loop left on the hook. Do not turn.



Step 4:

Working from right to left, skipping the first vertical loop in front of the fabric, [insert hook (right to left, under) on the next vertical loop, yarn over hook and pull through, keeping loop on hook] *. Repeat * until the end.



You should have the same number of loops on your hook as the length of your chain. Do not turn.

Step 5:

Repeat step 3.

Step 6:

Repeat steps 4 to 5 to work on a row.


To "close" the Tunisian stitch, I slip stitched starting on the second vertical loop until the end.


A handy guide for Tunisian crochet can be found on this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment