Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Beef in Mushroom Sauce

I tried a couple of similar recipes, but this is by far the best I've cooked yet. And you know what the best part of this is? I didn't plan to cook it. We just had a few strips of sirloin left so I decided to look for a good beef recipe. I saw a recipe from Kawaling Pinoy but I ended up not using the recipe at all for two reasons: (1) I don't like using flour in sauces, and (2) I tried using cream before and I wanted to try something else. I did, however, used the idea of searing the beef. I always slow cook the beef to make it tender, but doing this still gave me tender strips of beef.

This recipe is quick and easy to make. It took me an hour to prepare and cook. 

Ingredients:
  • 500 grams beef sirloin, cut into strips
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 can cream of mushroom sauce
  • 1 small can of sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 1 head of onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • water, half a can of the sauce
  • butter, for sautéing
  • pure olive oil, for searing

Preparation:
  1. Combine salt, pepper, and beef in a bowl. Make sure that the beef strips are evenly coated. Set aside.
  2. While the beef is marinading, chop onion and mince garlic.
  3. Ready the mushrooms, mushroom sauce, water, and butter.

Cooking directions:
  1. Drizzle a non-stick frying pan with olive oil. Sear beef strips on each side. Do it in batches so you can cook the beef nicely. I don't really know how many minutes I did on each side, I just placed the strips one by one, waiting for a few seconds, then flipped each strip. I waited for another few seconds before I removed it from the pan.
  2. On the same pan, cook the mushrooms. Set aside.
  3. Still on the same pan, melt the butter and sauté the onions and garlic. 
  4. Add the mushroom sauce. 
  5. Add in water a little at a time, making sure that you don't dilute the sauce too much. 
  6. Add salt to taste.
  7. Fold in seared beef and cooked mushrooms. Remove from heat.
Note:
I updated this post to put in additional details on the ingredients.




No comments:

Post a Comment