Saturday, October 22, 2016

Monster Pompoms: Vampire

I try to have at least one crafting activity with my 6-yo son. He loves creating things, and I guess he's the one that really inspired me to start this blog.

Anyway, I saw this video tutorial on Facebook: DIY Halloween Decor, and thought  that  my son would enjoy doing this with me. So today, we decided to make a vampire as our crafting activity this weekend.

Now, don't laugh, but this is a post where the reality is far from the expected outcome. To give you a visual, I grabbed this image on Kids' Craft Ideas. Isn't that cute? So fluffy!

Expectation

And now, I give you our finished product. It may not be as cute and fluffy as what we saw on the video or on the image above, but my son loved it. While I was being so pessimistic, he was all "Mommy, it's starting to be cute!" and "I love it!" I even got a free hug for making him a monster.

Reality

So, are you still interested to know how we did it? Or did our vampire scare you away?

Materials:

  • thin wire
  • yarn
  • craft eye (we only used one)
  • glue
  • glue gun + glue stick
  • scissors
  • cardboard
  • watercolor + brush
  • masking tape
Instructions:

Step 1: Make the attachments - wings, fangs, ears, and tail. My son wanted to put a tail (not in picture). The ears, although we made a pair, we were not able to put it.

  1. Draw one side of a bat's wing [tail/ear/fang] on the cardboard paper. Cut and use as a template to make three [one] more. 
  2. Paint the wings [tails/ears]. Set aside to let it dry.
  3. Cut two wires, the same length as the wing [tail/ear]. Note: we didn't put a wire on the fangs.
  4. Tape one end of the wire in the middle of the wing [tail/ear] (unpainted side).
  5. Put glue on another wing [tail/ear] (unpainted side) and stick it on the wing with the taped wire. Painted sides must be on the outside. This will be the first wing.
  6. Repeat 4 & 5 for the second wing.
Step 2: Make the pompom. Because I botched my pompom, please refer to this site on how to make the pompom: Halloween Pompoms.

Step 3: Stick the attachments to the pompom. Secure the attachments with a glue stick.

Step 4: Glue the eye (or eyes) and fangs on the pompom.















No comments:

Post a Comment